“Niche Quiche”- Vegan Quiche with Carmelized Onions, Leeks and Mushrooms and Millet Crust
Last week I had cooked up a recipe for a friend of mine out of one of her favorite cookbooks. I had never had vegan quiche, let alone cooked it, but I’m pretty good about trying anything once. The quiche was phenomenal! I couldn’t wait to get into my own kitchen and cook up my own batch. This time I added a few different veggies and baked the millet crust before putting in the filling. The quiche was so delish, that I unfortunately only have 1 piece left for tomorrow…if it lasts until then.
What You Need:
2 Onions (1 diced, 1 thinly sliced)
Fresh Thyme (to taste)
1 Clove Garlic (minced)
Salt/Pepper/Cayenne (to taste)
2 Tbsp. Soy Sauce
2 Tbsp. Tahini
2 Tbsp. Nutritional Yeast
1 Large Leek (cleaned and chopped)
1 Cup Mushrooms (sliced)
1 Cup Millet (rinsed and drained)
1 1/2 Blocks Tofu (I used silken and firm)
3 Cups Water
Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
1. In a greased, medium/large pot, sweat the onions and garlic until the onions are translucent. Add a pinch of salt and chopped thyme. Then, add the millet to the pot and saute for about 1 minute. Then pour in the 3 cups of water. Bring the millet to a boil, then turn it down to a simmer until all the water is absorbed. The millet should be slightly chewy.
2. While the millet is cooking, blend together the tofu, soy sauce, tahini and 1 tbsp. of nutritional yeast until smooth. Set aside.
3. When the millet is cooked, press it in to a greased baking dish or tart pan. Place the tray into the oven for about 10-15 minutes or until millet crust is crisped slightly.
4. While the crust is baking, toss the leeks and onions into a greased saute pan. Slowly carmelize the veggies, then toss in the mushrooms. Add in chopped thyme to taste. Saute until mushrooms are tender. Then, combine the veggies and tofu mixture in a medium bowl. Fold the ingredients together until well combined. Season to taste.
5. Then, remove the crust from the oven and fill the crust with the tofu/veggie mixture. Top the quiche with the remaining nutritional yeast and bake for 25-30 minutes. Allow to cool slightly before cutting into it.